Monday, January 29, 2007

Sweet 16 and Sweet Victory

My little brother Rhett played basketball in Twin Falls last week on his 16th birthday. We were so happy to get to see him that day, watch him play a great game, sing Happy Birthday to him, and play with his new present.
There is something about a Madison High School basketball game that is a great constant for me. Rhett is my 4th brother to play for Madison and my family and I have been going to Bobcat basketball games as long as I can remember. Even though I get older and the players are never the same - there are somethings that never change.
  • Bruce Herker, "The Voice of the Bobcats" is always in his too-tight red polo announcing the game using phrases like "from left to right on your dial" and "Sutton's in the paint." Followed by incredible bursts of enthusiasm and higher volume as the game gets closer and closer.
  • I am always captivated by the cheerleaders hair- where did they learn to be so jazzy? How do they get their bobby pins in so tight with the perfect combination of spiky, curly, and straight hair? Why have I never learned how to do this?
  • The players always look old to me. Yes you may find that strange since they are now more than 10 years my younger, but when I watch them - I see them through the same 13 year-old girl eyes that are still so amazed at how cool they are.
  • If the game is close with one minute and 15 seconds left, the point guard will tap the top of his head - which is still the sign that the players will be going into the "San Francisco Stall." I will clutch my seat with anxiety praying that they will be able to make their last second shot.
  • I am still nervous whenever one of my brother get the ball - an equally proud when they hit a three point shot.

I sometimes wonder if I will get to watch Kyler play as a Madison Bobcat. If I do, I hope I am filled with the same sense of pride when the pep band starts playing, "Here we are from Madison, the school we love so dear...."

2 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

The cheerleaders' hair will forever be a mystery...as will Bruce's tight red shirt

Hilary said...

Once a Madison Bobcat always a Madison Bobcat. I think I will always cheer for Madison no matter what. The only thing that would make me change is my sons or daughters are playing for a different school. Nothings better than a Madison sporting event, they will forever remind me of a cute blonde girl in the crowd, luckily I still get to see that darling Madison fan everyday!!

DAN