Thursday, October 4, 2007

So What Type of Mom are You?

So I believe there are basically two types of Mom's in this world, those who make their kid's Halloween costumes, and those that don't. OK, that may be an over-generalization... I didn't leave room for people like me that aspire to make darling Rainbow Bright and Dalmatian costumes, but sent my kids last year as Spiderman (store bought and borrowed from a friend) and a clown (a bargain from the DI with a little homemade embellishment). (As a side note, the reason I mentioned Rainbow Bright is because in the early 90's there was some sort of play in Rexburg that every 5th grade girl was involved in. Every girl had a great Rainbow Bright costume that involved foam tubing and bright striped material. For the 15 years since you always see one or two tattered Rainbow Brights trick-or-treating in Rexburg, can anyone back me up on this?)

You see, I grew up in the day before store bought Halloween costumes were a big market (at least that is what I remember. It is a possibility that store bought costumes for all 8 kids in my family was just not an option). I remember my Mom making great costumes for us when we were little. When we were 3 and 4 my brother Zach and I went as Santa and Mrs. Claus. We even won some sort of prize at the Archer School carnival. A few years later, my Mom made a mermaid costume for me complete with a shimmering tail. The only problem was I could not walk in it so I had to be carried door to door to trick or treat, darling nonetheless. One year my brother Luke was the singing Moon from the McDonald's commercial (Does anyone remember that commercial? He would sing "When the clock strikes, half past six Babe, time to head for Golden Lights! It's a Good time, for a great taste. Dinner. at McDonald's is Mac Tonight. Come on make it Mac tonight, yeah!)

I feel lucky to be on the first end of the 8 kids in my family - after a few years, and a few more costumes that had to made, my Mom's enthusiasm seemed to wain (with good reason, she had 8 kids, I would be lucky if they were all dressed and fed everyday). I remember one year my sibling went as a banana at the last minute (a slip-and-slide wrapped around them with a green hat, creative). One year my little brother Wyatt was Static Man ( a creative way of using the 1000s of mismatched socks we had at home. She safety pinned all the socks to his clothing with a cape that said Static Man).

You see, since I only have 2 kids, I feel some sense of obligation to use a glue gun, shimmering satin, and lots of yarn at Halloween time. My problem is that my skills have the possibility of leaving my children looking a little homely and old fashioned next to their Power Ranger and Cinderella counterparts. It is an internal struggle for me.

So I am curious about your thoughts on the subject.

Do you make costumes? Do you buy them?

Do you feel any sort of duty, obligation, or guilt?

What are your kids going to be this year?

13 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

I'm struggling with this one as well. But I think my girls will be getting a little "crafted with a gluegun" care this year. Gracie insists on being Princess Presto and Alli---just needs to be warm. Any suggestions? (Gracie thinks she should be Alpha Pig, that Pat should be Super Why and I should be Wonder Red) We may be quite the sight.

Mrs. Dub said...

this is my first mom halloween, but i'm thinking i'm going to split the difference on your h-day mom types. i plan on buying various costume elements and putting them together. is there a name for that?

Bruce said...

I am with you sister. I would LOVE to be able to make the costumes, but I just get nervous thinking about it.

This year my girls are going to wear the discount costumes we got last year after Halloween!

The truth is our idea of what would look "good" as a costume is a lot different than our childrens. They just like going trick-or-treating. We just try to "keep up with appearances". :) I am excited to see what you come up with!

Salt H2O said...

What category does buying human costumes for my dogs at put me in?

careyttops or katelyn's kid kitchen said...

i'm with you...mom always made the most creative/wonderful costumes & i always thought that's what "good" moms do. it's so much better to be dressed up original, but i'll wait 'til they're a little older to stress over that one! now i'm all about cheap! if i can get away with making a costume cheaper- i do- even if it means staying up 'til 2 everynight 'til halloween! where's the logic in motherhood?!

Saun and Wes said...

First of all, I loved your comment on my blog about London's "senior ad" pic. That was great. About the costumes, if you have time, and are good at that sort of thing, then go for it. I however, have tried to make costumes in the past and have failed miserably, so I say go ahead and purchase if you want. My mom made my sister and I costumes when we were little. Then one year she started making us these way cute pumpkin costumes-which never got done. And I have never seen her make a costume since. On a side note, my mom started making London a baby blanket and she is up to $90 that she has spent on materials thus far. I don't think I could ever spend that much on a blanket. You might end up spending more on the supplies to make the costumes than you would buying them already made. The world is changing Hil, embrace the change.

simplycreating said...

I am hoping to buy the cheapest costumes I can find along with embelishing some of last years costumes, so I guess I will do a little bit of both. But if time starts to play a factor, which it always does we will take whatever is left at the store and make due with the price and outfit.

Have I ever mentioned Halloween is not my favorite Holiday. So why am I having a Halloween party in which I have invited everyone I have known or happened to glance at in the grocery store and thought that they might need a pick me up, to my party? Can it be guilt for secretly hating Halloween. I'm not a costume person, and do my kids really need more sugar? And I'm not into spider and witches, goblins and ghost decorations.

Yes my kids will have some type of costume, and my party will be great, so here's to Halloween and all of it's greatness. I love Halloween (how many times do I have to say this to make it come true?)

Jill said...

Hilly, reading about our infamous costumes made me cry. It is fun to see that you noticed that it took a little time to do Halloween. Some costums where defintely better than others, but it sounds like they worked. Maybe that will help you. Your kids will love it and have something to talk about not matter when they wear for Halloween. A good mom remembers it Halloween......Your already in that category. Love MOM

Amy said...

O.k., I'm offering another category for ya - the mooching mom. Those who can't bear to spend money or time on a costume that is worn once so kindly asks her sister if she can borrow something from her sister's daughter's dress-ups for the "mooching Mom's" daughter's halloween. O.k., that was a little confusing and I understand that it would have been less confusing to just insert myself into that hypothetical situation - but then the confusion would have been replaced by embarrassment. Hmmmm......I guess I did spend $3 on Ethan's costume at the after-halloween sales last year - a superman costume minus the cape. So I'm planning on making a cape for it. Wow, I am an overachiever afterall - O.k., change that category to a homemaking/mooching/cheap-wad momma and I guess that's me. Nice! But, yes, I totally understand the whole guilt thing with Halloween. What happened to the good old days when you could just put a sheet over their head and poke two eye-holes through it? BOO!

Josie said...

i'm the type of mom that goes to old navy and buys whatever is on sale. this year, dylan is going as a hot dog. i ain't ashamed to say it.

Jessica said...

I look at the magazines with the really cute costume ideas, and i think "i should do that!", but honestly, when it comes down to it, Halle gets store bought, and yes I feel a tinge of guilt, well, maybe not guilt, but inadequacy. If I made her costume, it would be very obvious. And this year, since I'm due the week before Halloween, I'm not feeling very ambitous, and Halle will be in her tinkerbell dress she got for her birthday this year. Good luck, I'm sure your kids will be just adorable in whatever you decide on. Happy Halloween!

Ellen said...

Hil-
I don't know if you'll get this comment, since it's so late, but I write on...
I was once talking to a mother of 7 who has to work outside the home, due to her husband being sick. She said that at times she feels guilty for all the things she doesn't have time to teach her daughters, like how to sew or can. But, then she came to the realization that you can buy clothes cheaper than you can make them and you can buy food cheaper than it costs to can them. And then it hit her one day! Every generation of women feels guilt over something that they haven't taught their daughters. She figured that at one point there was probably a generation of women that felt bad they weren't teaching their daughters how to make soap or felt guilt over buying the milk and cheese instead of milking the cow. Do you see where I'm going with this? We would never think of making our own soap! Like Saundra said, accept the good changes that come with time. I think if you want to make costumes, make them. If you want to buy them, buy them. I personally considered making costumes this year, but then got Cambell's SUPER cute ladybug costume from Old Navy on clearance for $13 and I feel great about it! I refuse to live with Mother's guilt! I do not think it is healthy for my happiness or the happiness of my children. I want to fill my life with good thoughts and feelings about what I AM doing and not focus on what I'm not doing. Love ya, Ellen

Emily said...

First of all--I love to new blog design! It is tastey and lovely and gorgeous.

I want to make cool costumes, but I don't. Instead I toy with the idea of buying the really adorable costumes from Pottery Barn (they're only like $60, plus an additional $10 for the matching trick-or-treat bag). Would an expensive costume make up for not having spent hours and hours making one?

I don't even know what to dress the kids as this year.

I better go, I just heard Ruby say from the other room, "I'm being naughty!" Twice. I hear something being torn. Oh dear.