Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hilary, CEO

So I had a little extra time on my hands....(actually, that is not true, I have never felt as though I have had extra time on my hands). Nonetheless, I decided to try my hand at being a business woman. Dan is always coming up with ideas for businesses; I decided to go one step further, and actually start my own. I have recently opened my own agency working with adults with disabilities. The name of my agency is Western Connections.
.
I began the process in October. I had to put together policies and procedures, get the appropriate insurance, prove I knew what was going on, and be approved by Medicaid. This process ended the beginning of February when I was issued my official Idaho Medicaid Provider Number.
.
My first job upon graduating from BYU was as a Targeted Service Coordinator. I worked full-time until I had Ky, and then worked a little here and there from home. The last lady that I worked for was tremendously helpful in getting me up and running. She was happy to share forms, hints, ideas, and encourage me.
.
I tell people that a Targeted Service Coordinator is like a visiting teacher. I have one face-to-face visit a month with each client and ask them how things are running. I help with whatever problems they may have, make sure they are being treated well, and link them to any new services that would be appropriate. I have to write an annual plan detailing the services they are receiving and fight their case for Medicaid so they can get all of the services they need.
.
My goal is to have 10 clients of my own, and then hire other people to work for me. I figured that my kids could handle being left ten hours a month - it might even be good for them.
.
Things have actually been going really well - even picked up faster than I thought they would. I now have 7 clients and already have an employee lined up for when my caseload is full.
The start up phase has been quite busy. I will be grateful when everyone's plans are written and things slow down a bit.
.
Dan will be doing the Medicaid billing and keep track of all of the books. We will make a great team. Heather has been willing to watch my kids - for which I have been very grateful.
.
So wish me luck. If you happen to live in my town, and need a TSC, give me a call because "at Western Connections, we connect you to happiness."

9 comments:

Josie said...

wow. i am totally impressed. good for you...your clients are lucky to have you. and i'm sure getting a little time away from your own tots will be great, too.

Clarissa Meegan said...

You are such the CEO. I wish that I needed a TSC so you could come visit me once a month! Congrats on the 7 clients---that was fast!

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Well, I am beyond impressed. Hilary, you are AWESOME! Good luck - you are such an inspiration.

simplycreating said...

Hilary I am so proud of you. Even though I see you every day, I've never told you how proud I am to have you as a sister. Your abilities amaze me. It's been fun to see your business take off. Way to go, class act! Love ya.

Elg Family said...

That is so cool! I wish that you could be my TSC. How about coming to Boise?
I sure love looking at your family and reading all your cute notes, its always an uplift to my day!
loves and hugs,
Auntie Veanne

Emily said...

KUDOS! Congratulations!

Jake and Annika said...

Wow, Hilary! Very impressive. I had no idea you were doing all this. And, I must say, your logo is wonderful!

Bruce said...

You are amazing! You'll be a blessing in people's lives, that's for sure! How fun to have Dan working with you! :)

The Comin Family said...

I wanted to say way to go on the whole business! I'm so envious that you can have an awesome career and still be an awesome mom! I'm impressed!