Monday, October 5, 2009

Spud Harvest

It is that time of year again....time to harvest the potatoes. Growing up, school closed for 2 weeks every year so that all of the kids could help in spud harvest. I spent many cold days in the cellar at my uncle's farm. My Dad grew up a farmer. Farming still runs thick through his veins and every year he drives the digger on the farm. I was excited to take my kids home to show them the process of getting the spuds out of the field and into the harvest. It is an amazing process and I am grateful that I got to be a part of it. My Dad, Kyler, Ceigan and Riley in front of his tractor. The back of the digger filling up the truck. Potatoes in the field with the combine in the background. Rhett teaching Lincoln how to drive truck.
Mountain of potatoes in the cellar.

4 comments:

JENNY said...

that's a pretty cool thing to blog about... true blue IDAHO right there!

Clarissa Meegan said...

Yesterday during conference I realized that it was spud harvest. It made me miss home so much. Thanks for the pics so I didn't feel like I completely missed out!

DeEtta said...

The spud harvest has sure changed since I was growing up. We had spud harvest vacation from school and all the kids were in the fields harvesting potatoes. We worked in pairs and got six cents a bag. Depending on who you worked with as a partner depended on how much you would make.

I enjoyed the pictures. Nothing like an Idaho Potato

Jill said...

What a great log of the process. Those are such great pictures. Dad enjoyed them as well.