Do you ever have those moments when you think, "Did I really get to do that?" Well, I have been reminiscing a great deal today about one of those moments. You see, in 1997 my jumprope team was asked to represent the state of Idaho in President Clinton's Inaugural parade. In the above picture, I am the one on the right turning the double dutch ropes. If you look closely you can see Bill Clinton and Al Gore standing up. Pretty Cool, huh?
I remember how spectacular the whole experience was. There was so much excitement and enthusiasm in the air. Washington DC was wrapped in a blanket of red, white, and blue. It was a sea of waving flags. The feeling of patriotism was palpable throughout the streets of DC.
The parade route went through DC and culminated with a march down Pennsylvania Avenue ending right at 1600. The temperature was mid 20's - but after jumproping for over 2 miles in fleece flag jackets - we were all plenty warm, and plenty tired.
The night of the Inauguration, the city was filled with limo's of fancy couples headed to Inaugural Balls. I wondered what it would be like to be in one of those limo's headed to a black tie affair.
I am grateful for that remarkable experience. I told Kyler about it today and his eyes got huge. He asked, "Can I tell my teacher tomorrow?"
I enjoyed watching the Inauguration festivities today. I am not Barrack Obama's #1 fan, but I respect the office and understand the gravity of his responsibilities. I adored the pomp and circumstance of today. I thought Michelle Obama looked regal - but don't you think she could have worn red or blue? I was not a fan of the green gloves. My biggest question of the day - Ms. Aretha Franklin - did your hat have to be THAT big?
A special thanks to my sister, Clarissa, for finding and sending me the above picture.





11 comments:
loved her dress and gloves...PERFECT (in my opinion)...want Aretha'a hat...(where can I get one?)...loved the girls coats with the pretty ribbon ties...loved Michelle's gown for the balls...
can't believe you jumped rope at Clinton's inauguration...surprised your legs didn't fall off after that long stretch...what a memory!
Wow, that's a once in a life time opportunity. cool story....you are practically famous....well, closer than me anyway.
Thank you for sharing that! What a memorable experience. Your photo is so cute. Fun to see!
I was thankful yesterday to see how calm and gracious the whole transition took place. In many other countries, the transition day is one of unrest and struggle. What a blessing to live in America!
I remember the jumprope team, now I know a celebrity. That is a fun memory and one that not many get to have. I can see Kyler's excitement as he told his teacher.
Hil. So cool. I think that you should post more of your jump roping adventures. There aren't many people who have done as cool things as you have done. Besides, who wouldn't want to see that picture of you with a pained face holding up fish chips in Japan?
p.s. That bow was the hugest thing I've ever seen.
You are so cool! Come back some day and hang out in D.C. We are only an hour and a half away. You guys are always welcome.
wow! that's so incredible!
I too spent the day watching, off and on, the day unfold...sick to my stomach. I was so bothered by some of the things I heard (specifically the prayer).
I too love the pomp and circumstances of the whole day. I didn't get much done but watch everything unfold.
I love the picture. I remember when you went. So awesome
Love ya
Hilary, I love that photo. I remember you doing jumprope amazing stunning tricks in Jerusalem, and you were rusty then! I love imagining you at your jumprope peak in 1997. That is so cool. Super duper cool! One of those things that is perfect for the 2 truths and a lie game. :)
hey when I saw this I had to laugh because a co worker of mine did that Mariko, cant spell last name, she talked about that!
Post a Comment