Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ready or Not...

It is official....Tonight is the first school night of my adult life. Tomorrow morning at 8:35 AM, Kyler will be an official Kindergartener. I can't believe it. He has new school clothes, a new backpack, he can write his first and last name. I just sharpened 24 number 2 pencils, and Dad gave him a school blessing tonight. In all respects, he is ready for Kindergarten. The only problem is, I don't know if I am. I realize every Mom in the civilized world has at one time or another, sent her first child to school. My question is, why didn't anyone tell me it would be so hard? I have really struggled with this big milestone we are on the brink of reaching. I have been waxing more sentimental than usual (ie. getting teary when I bought milk and realized it expired after Kyler started school, you know...the usual). To tell you the truth, I can't even put my finger on what it is that is making me struggle. I think it is a combination of many things: He's growing up too quickly, I have to drop him off at a big school all by himself, what if he needs my help on the monkey bars? What if he gets lost? What if someone is mean to him? For the past several weeks, I have just wanted to put the brakes on. If I could freeze time right now with my kids the exact ages they are, I would. This having your kids grow up stuff is hard. I love having my kids at home with me all day. We can do what we want when we want. I don't have to worry about what anyone else teaches them or says to them, because I am always right there. Well, starting tomorrow at 8:35 AM, that is all going to change. Ready or not...

3 comments:

Clarissa Meegan said...

Who told Kyler that he could grow up in the first place? I can't believe he is old enough to go to Kindergarten either. Good luck with the transition!

Lisa said...

Kindergarten! When did this happen? The other night I had a near melt down informing Luke Kiersty is two years away. I can't even imagine what the night before must be like. Good luck this week! P.S. the picture of your family is the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Saun and Wes said...

Reading this makes me want to cry for you. And this picture doesn't help at all. He looks just like a missionary!!!!!!!!!